Friday, February 4, 2011

The Benefits of Homeschooling

I could write a book on this topic, but I’ll try to restrain myself.  I can already foresee myself failing a little bit so prepare for a long post. Sorry.

I have been homeschooled all my life and I must say I’m very grateful I never went to public or private school.  I’ve even had some of my public schooled friends tell me they’re envious.  Doing school at home and having your parents for teachers hasn’t always been “peachy-keen,” but there’re more advantages with homeschooling than there are with public schooling.  Homeschooling isn’t for everyone.  The parents have to value the quality of their children’s education to make the sacrifice of time and possibly one parent’s income to stay home and make it worth it.

Religion, finance, or having a child with special needs or one who isn’t being challenged enough in school are common reasons for choosing homeschooling, but usually most parents just aren’t satisfied with the school system, and feel they can do a better job.

Educational Benefits

 

One on One Attention

The teacher to student ratio can’t be beat.  One on one teaching has been widely known as the most effective teaching method.  There is no conceivable way a public school teacher can give the full individual attention needed to each of his or her students for whatever difficulties they might have.

Work at Your Own Pace and Time

A lot of time is wasted at public/private schools waiting in lines for lunch and recess, waiting for others to get done with their work, or even waiting for the teacher to finally take control of the unruly class.  Homeschooling allows a quiet, comfortable learning environment where kids can get their work done far before 3 o’clock because they have no distractions.



Freedom

Although a lot depends on state laws, parents have more freedom to tailor their child’s education.  School can be adapted to what works best for the kid.  They can choose a curriculum with the best teaching techniques. They can choose what time to start school--in case someone is really groggy in the morning.  They can go back over that dreadful math concept their kid was struggling with.  They can customize their school schedule around illness, vacation, or sudden events.  They can also be creative and have school days that are more flexible and spontaneous like a field trip to a dairy farm or going skiing for P.E. 

Social Benefits

 

Bullies, Cliques, and Peer Pressure?

Who wouldn’t want to avoid the bully waiting by their locker or the squealing swarm of popular cheerleaders if they had a chance?  Today, some people are homeschooling their kids just to keep them out of the public school social environment.  Innocence is being destroyed earlier and earlier in children’s lives by exposure to violence, drugs, sex, and the media.  All this pressure is a distraction when they should be concentrating on learning.  Homeschooling minimizes negative influences.  Everyone is influenced by the people they are around the most.  Homeschooled kids are more likely to adopt their family’s values than what their friends think.  Unfortunately, many people never know who their real friends are.  I feel a lot of empathy for people who don’t have family members they can trust because most likely they don’t have anyone they can trust at all.

And if you think I don’t have a social life, I do have one.  I am homeschooled and I have friends.  Shocker.  Actually, where I live, there have been plenty of opportunities for homeschoolers so that I’ve never had a year of schooling where I only stayed in the house.

Here comes the fun part where I might rant a bit. Beware. Let’s just say I’ve been asked too many times by people if I’m super smart or if I have friends or if I get out of the house.

Sneakers, Culottes, and Fanny Packs?

 



The stereotypical homeschooler is thought to be: sheltered beyond belief, socially awkward, and that they make the worst fashion statements.  However, like most stereotypes, this one is overly exaggerated and most of the time completely false.  I admit when I was younger I was probably, most likely, a little bit of all of these three things.  Maybe not all at the same time.  Ok ok! Yes, I used to believe babies only came after you were married, had awkward silences with people, and wore sweatpants and sneakers everywhere.  My secret is out.  The reason is most likely because I didn’t have the pressure to conform to any standards set by “what is popular.”  I’ve changed a lot since my elementary days, like most people do. 

And since when is a public schooler immune to these descriptions??  Everyone has known a “socks-n-sandals” and it had nothing to do with their form of education.
So, stereotyping is stupid.  Why must people like to organize others into groups when in reality everyone is an individual!?!??  Ugh. That’s life. That’s the way it is.

Anyway, there’s also the stereotype that homeschoolers are exceptionally smart.  Ok, I am not a genius.  I have never considered myself smarter than the average person other than having uncommon sense--because, you know, common sense really isn’t all that common.  I do well in school, but it’s certainly not a breeze; I have to work hard.  However, studies have shown [does anyone really know when someone says this phrase if these studies are accurate? I don’t know, but I’ve heard this consistently throughout my life or have read it enough so it must be true, right?] that the average homeschooled student scores higher on standardized tests than the average public or private schooled student.


Here’s a humorous, yet I think mostly accurate, philosophy of the typical homeschooled student-


-though I think this girl is a homeschooler.  Singing opera? Seriously? But what do I care? Be an individual! Be different!  Embrace your inner-homeschooler no matter how scary it might be!

I guess that’s really what this is all about. I’m sick of the stereotype! Yes, I think the above videos are hilarious, but the thing is, some people actually, seriously believe that all homeschooled children and teens wear Velcro sneakers and denim skirts and are doctors by the age of nine.

Thanks for reading this---homeschool your child or future child today!  It’s really worth it.  And I hope you don’t believe the stereotypes.
Btw, I think it’s high time for the word “homeschooling” not come up in spell check.

No comments:

Post a Comment