Friday, April 8, 2011

The Future

I’m gonna graduate!!


I’ve been thinking about my future lately. I’m a senior in high school so I’d say it’s kind of a normal thing to be thinking about right now. There’s so many things to decide. Where should I go to school? What should I major in? How can I get a good education without breaking the bank? There’s so many choices! And then, what kind of career do I want? I want something I’ll love--doesn’t everybody? Will I make a living from it?

Passion and Motivation


At least, I have interests. I love art--any form of art; I’m not limited to the canvas stuff,--theater, and horses. I’m not one of those people who have absolutely no idea what they’re going to do with their lives. I knew a guy who’s goal in life when he was younger was to be the guy that put the new price in the sign of a gas station. You’ve seen those guys, right? They have a long pole with a magnet on the end that they use to pick up metal pieces with a letter or number on it to change a message or price under the company’s sign. I don’t want to be that guy.

There are so many struggling artists out there and so many struggling actors/actresses out there; will I make it? I’ve realized I can’t be scared. I have to pursue the things I love to do no matter how much money I make. Sorry Mom and Dad.

I was at a high school graduation last year and the speaker said something like this to the graduates, “You know that guy who gets up at the crack of lunch, playing with his Xbox, his pants hanging half way off his butt? Do not friend that guy! Do not date that guy! Do not bring him home!” And a response from a parent in the audience was a loud, “AMEN!” The point of it was to surround yourself with friends who have goals so that you aren’t dragged into doing nothing for the rest of your life. I need to make sure that my close friends also love God, and that in whatever they do they are giving all credit to Him.


The Career Plan


So, here’s the plan...if all goes well. I’m enrolling in a 10-month cosmetology course. During cosmetology school I’ll also take a math class or something so I have some credits when I go to college. I’ll then get a job at a salon cutting hair to help pay my way through college. Here’s where things get fuzzy. I don’t know what I want to do. Art and theater. Which one will be my major and which one will be my minor. Double major? I also don’t have a college that I like. I must admit I haven’t done much looking. But it’s a little overwhelming; there’s so much out there. Parts of me can’t wait and parts of me can. I don’t want to make any mistakes! I know. That sounds silly. I’m supposed to make mistakes and hopefully be smart and learn from them. Though I would learn from my mistakes, I’m afraid to make them. If I can, I want to avoid them. Mistakes can really mess up your life and sometimes the results are irreversible. I’m also really interested in the “behind the scene” aspects of theater. In between failed auditions, I could do set design, hair, makeup, costumes, and probably a bunch of other creative stuff that I just don’t know about. I’m so excited to learn more!

So yeah, I just felt like getting out my thoughts about all that... :) I’m optimistic!

No comments:

Post a Comment